We are seeking a Lead Pastor to guide McIvor Church in Christ-centred discipleship as a way of life and promote mission and service as an expression of our community’s character.
A. Key Relationships:
- McIvor is a congregationally led community of believers where the Lead Pastor is responsible to collaborate and build relationships with congregants.
- The Pastor shall be responsible to the Church through the Church Council and specifically to the Executive.
- The Pastor shall develop mutually supportive and encouraging working relationships with the pastoral team, staff and leaders through personal example. The Pastor shall work to achieve agreed upon goals, ensuring positive and healthy coordination among these ministries.
- A member of the Community Support Team shall relate to the Pastor, serving as a support, resource and advocate in their ministry.
B. Duties & Responsibilities:
- Administration and Leadership (30%)
- The Pastor champions the mission and vision of the church. Together with the church Council and the pastoral team, the Pastor models and develops a healthy and life-giving culture within the congregation that expresses the values of Christ’s kingdom.
- Organizational Leadership. The Pastor will:
- plan and participate in staff meetings to promote and support McIvor’s mission and ministries
- collaboratively develop and monitor goals for the church community with other pastors and staff members; sharing progress of goals with Council
- Spiritual leadership – by personal example and teaching, the Pastor guides the congregation into a Spirit-filled life in Christ to which followers of Jesus aspire.
- Community leadership – serve the Mennonite Brethren denomination and broader community (in ways agreed to by the church) to serve the purposes of Christ’s kingdom.
- Leadership development – together with the pastoral team, promote and encourage ministry leadership, team building and mentoring relationships to raise up a new generation of leaders.
- With the pastoral team, develop short and long-term Church goals in conjunction with the Church Council
- Implement policies and procedures authorized by the church through Council
- Preaching and Teaching: (60%)
- Plan and oversee the preaching/teaching ministry of the church. Carry a personal preaching load of approximately 60%.
- Create and/or arrange for teaching opportunities that will resource and equip the congregation for service.
- Oversee instruction and preparation for baptism and/or church membership.
- Initiate and guide the process of discerning and mentoring lay preachers.
- Oversee and provide direction for McIvor’s Small groups.
- Lead the congregation in adult Christian Formation practices that invite people to become devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
- Outreach, Integration and Missions: (10%)
- Partner with pastoral staff and Care Giving committee to support the needs of congregational members
- Create, develop and guide events and processes designed to draw and integrate newcomers into the McIvor church family.
- Partner with the Pastoral Team and Missions Committee to articulate and promote the ministry and mission of McIvor Church focusing on Missionaries, Mission Trips and Giving Projects.
C. Perform other duties/services as may be assigned by the Executive/Council.
- Model and pursue healthy self-care through the consistent practice of Christian disciplines.
- passion for Christ, His kingdom, His church, His people and those without Jesus
- servant leadership
- spiritual maturity
- Spiritual Gifts should include some of the following:
- Discipleship training/mentoring
- Teaching and preaching
- Pastoral care (shepherding)
- Pastoral call: able to verbalize a God-given calling to vocational Christian ministry and articulate a theology/philosophy of ministry that shapes their pastoral engagement.
- Education: Theological Education (Masters degree preferred).
- Experience: demonstrated effectiveness in care ministries, team and leadership practices.
- Church membership: able and willing, together with his/her spouse (if applicable), to become a member of the McIvor Avenue M.B. Church, and to support its mission and vision for ministry.
- Credentialing: must be ordained or credentialed (or be eligible) by the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. A minister credentialed in another denomination shall complete Mennonite Brethren credentialing requirements within the first year of ministry.
- This position is subject to a Criminal record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search including Adult Abuse registry check and a Child Abuse Registry Check.
To apply for this job, please send your cover letter and resumé to [email protected].